Recently, we have come to a really cool realization - the majority of the people that keep up with us, whether on Instagram or here on the blog don’t PERSONALLY know us. We wish we could meet you all because we love community and are so thankful that you care to keep up with what we have going on!
Since we can’t meet every single one of you, we thought we’d play a little fun game on the blog today of “5 Things You Might Not Know About Us.” Chandler and I have both answered this, and we hope it gives you a little more insight into who we are!
1. I LOVE golf. Ok, so maybe that’s not really a secret. I started playing golf in college, mostly because my soon-to-be father-in-law played, and it was a good way to bond. I’ve always played sports, so golf offered something competitive that was pretty simple to get into and play for a long, long time. Now, it’s become an embarrassingly big part of my life. It’s how I exercise (and why I exercise), it’s an awesome way to get outside for a few hours, but even more importantly it’s a way that I bond with my dad, my father-in-law, and other close friends and family. Watching the tournaments on TV is just for me though…
2. I have a Masters of Theological Studies (random right??). My faith has always been at the center of who I am, and when I graduated college, I felt like God called me to pursue further education. I didn’t really know why, but I decided to give it a shot. It was a very slow process, but after 6 years and 2 institutions, I finished the degree program and was awarded my Masters. It was a really cool life experience. And no, you may not call me Rev. Quarles.
3. In college, I worked with the basketball team at Belmont University as a student manager. I wasn’t much of a basketball guy before this, but again, I wanted to be around sports and it was a great way to do that. Belmont’s basketball program is a highly respected mid-major program. Even if it involved doing laundry and some not-so glamorous jobs, things like sitting on the bench at the NCAA tournament, winning conference championships, and becoming friends with some great guys was an overall AMAZING experience. I even got a little bling in my time there.
I’m a Harry Potter fan, and I’m not afraid to say it. Now you might think that doesn’t really go along with the whole Masters of Theological Studies thing, but I don’t really see the conflict of interest. I wasn’t a big reader growing up, so in turn watched the movies first (hiss and heckle all you want). I enjoyed the movies, and they became a staple for Chandler and me, a sort of visual comfort food. Then I read the books - the first time I’ve really ever undertaken such a reading endeavor, and I was hooked. Almost more than anything, I’m amazed by the empire and world crazy that HP became. The cultural phenomenon fascinates me. Anyway, enough about that. Here’s a few pictures of Chandler and me at Harry Potter Studios outside London. Please excuse my childlike cheeks…
5. I’ve been to 49 of the 50 states. Historically, I have worked as a road manager and sound engineer for bands, which involved quite a bit of travel! This spring (2019) I checked Hawaii off my list, so now I only have Alaska left. Excitingly, the artist that I still travel with is headed there next summer, so I’ll have all 50 under my belt by the end of 2020! Next to start checking off the 195 countries...
1. I really love to cook. I’m not a gourmet chef or anything, but spending time in the kitchen is one of the only times I can let my brain unwind. I love that cooking requires visual focus, so I have to live in the moment. And I love that there’s a tangible, delicious final result to show for an hour or two of hard work. It brings me so much joy to make meals for people in my life and to try new, healthy recipes. Also, I’ll make anything Danielle Walker puts in a cookbook. And I will probably love it.
2. I am a registered member of the Choctaw Tribe. Both sides of my family have Native American roots! I got college scholarship for it and I receive letters and a yearly Christmas ornament, but I’ve never had a chance to visit the reservation. Maybe someday!
3. I am a history nerd. I love studying and learning about history! Biographies, historical fiction, memoirs, and TV shows about history are my jam. Especially British and American history! I’ll watch the BBC all day. Also, museums. I love history museums. Ok...I’m done geeking out! But really, I think my love for history and love for interior design go hand in hand. Here are a couple pictures from a trip to New Orleans we took with some friends to go to the WWII Museum (an AMAZING museum by the way. Highly recommend!)
4. My first pass at entrepreneurship was when my best friend and I tried to turn my parents house into a paid museum when I was a kid. As I remember it, we organized our toys and my moms collectibles into various rooms of the house and made signs for the yard advertising the opening of our obviously very well curated museum for all the neighbors to come. Needless to say, the business venture never took off.
5. I have a degree in Vocal Performance, of all things. If you know me in real life, this isn’t a surprise. But if you only know me through Peach and Pine, you might be surprised to know that I studied music in college. I’ve been a singer and songwriter for as long as I can remember, and for most of my life, I thought that would be my career. Soon after getting a degree from Belmont University in Commercial Vocal Performance, I realized I no longer wanted to pursue it as a career. But I truly don’t have regrets about that. So many things led me eventually to Interior Design as a passion and career, and I’m thankful for the path that God used to lead me here.
So there you have it…
5 things that you might not have known about each of us. I hope this lets you into our lives just a little bit and helps you feel like you know who your reading about on the blog, listening to on the podcast, and interacting with on social media.
Comment below or reach out on Instagram to let us know a couple things we might not know about you! We’d love to hear from you!