We have lived in the house for over two months now, and most of the walls have remained blank canvases...waiting for me to put my creative stamp on them once I feel more confident in the direction I want to take the room. One of my goals with owning this home is to really take the time to make it exactly what we want rather than just put things in place for the sake of having something there. Since the basic bones of the living room are in place, it seems like it is about time to hang things up! I had grand plans of creating some wooden stencil art to hang above the couch. I knew I wanted a large piece of statement art that pulled color into the room rather than several smaller items. Then, Jeremy & I visited Old Time Pottery on a whim, and he found this: Eureka! Beautiful colors, lovely city scape, perfect size, and something that brings life to the wall without being too busy. The price tag said it had been discounted from $79.99 (not a bad price to begin with) to $17.50. We'll take it. It was discounted because of a badly scratched frame, and we knew that was an easy fix. The frame was a color and material I didn't like anyway...so it didn't really matter that it was scratched (although my wallet thanked me profusely). So we brought it home and got to work.
We knew we needed to remove the existing frame and build a new one, and rather than paint wood white, we decided to buy already white trim to create the frame.
So we picked up the trim we liked the most and got two 8 foot strips of white trim at about $9.00 a piece. $18.00 is not too bad for a 40"x40" frame.
Lowes will only cut straight lines in the store, so we purchased a miter box kit which included a miter box and a saw to cut the trim at 45 degree angles. '
We knew we needed the inside of the frame to measure 34" square for the size of the art, so Jeremy measured, and I helped him cut the parts.
tip: be sure to pay attention that you keep the same side facing out on all sides. Otherwise you will cut one with the outside facing in and have to go back to the store and get another strip of trim. Not like we know from experience or anything...*cough*
After all of the strips were cut, we assembled the frame with our handy dandy staple gun. We simply stapled over the corners. It was not very sturdy, but we knew once we attached the art it would be sturdier. Next, I flipped the frame around and removed all the staples holding the art to the existing frame.
The art was simply adhered to a piece of cardboard, so it was easy to move the cardboard over to the new frame and staple it to the back of the frame. Then I added picture hanging hooks to each side of the frame.
And enlisted my handy husband to hang the completed art! The room is really starting to come together! I'm really excited about the colors this adds to the room without overpowering the space! And the white trim frame pops perfectly against the wall. I like it ten times better than the original frame!
Next stop...gallery wall behind the TV.